9.24.2012

A mixture of chicken, duck and goose eggs!

Last week, I was happily writing away at my desk. I had the door open and I could feel the warm breeze. The dogs were lazing about on the verandah. The sun was golden, the birds were busy. It was quite peaceful.
Suddenly, I heard a loud "Honk!" The noise seemed to fly past the window.
I went in search thinking "Our goose has escaped!" Surely not. 
I walked down and counted the ducks, chooks and the goose. They were all where they were supposed to be. I wandered down to the creek where I thought the source of the "Honk!" may have gone. Nothing there. I then thought that I may have imagined the noise and went back to my writing.
A few moments later, a neighbour from up the road came along and asked me if I'd seen some geese flying by. Three of his geese had escaped. Of course I told him that I'd heard them flying past but had not sighted them.
The following day, I spotted a big white goose hanging around in our opposite neighbour's front paddock. It appeared to be talking to the horse. I wondered if the horse was happy about having a two legged, feathered creature for company. Each time I walked past the paddock I kept an eye out for the goose. It stayed in that paddock for three days. It seemed quite happy to have found a new companion, much bigger and hairier but, they seemed to have a way of communicating that went beyond their language barrier.
The neighbour from up the road, when told of his goose's whereabouts, declared that he did not want it back. The neighbour opposite, with the horse, had also expressed his interest in getting rid of the bird. 
So, it seemed the right thing to do for us to give the goose a new home. My wonderful farmer man walked over to the paddock next door, dodged the horse and caught the goose without too much fuss. It hissed and carried on for a few minutes but, it did calm down once it was introduced to our mob of mixed fowl.
Now, our chooks, ducks and goose had not laid any eggs for quite a few months. Since this new goose has been with us, they have all started laying. We are collecting at least six eggs per day. We're getting a mixture of chook, duck and goose eggs which is absolutely lovely! I think that they are all getting along famously.

2 comments: