9.19.2012

From the land to our plates

Today I have been thinking about sustainability and what it means to the individual person. Here on our small farm we are trying to find ways to become self-sustainable so that we do not rely on others for our needs. We are a long way from becoming self-sustainable but, we are conscious of the need to be able to supply ourselves with what we need on a daily basis. This journey can be confronting and I wonder if it is the reason why many people are still happy to go to the large supermarket chains to buy their meat? I am not about telling others what to do, nor would I try and influence decisions. I only know that I did find the idea of growing an animal, so that it may be eaten down the track, repulsive at first. What we eat is an individual choice as is where we obtain our food. Having made the choice of growing our own meat, I feel glad to be able to provide a happy life for our animals. I am also proud of the fact that we are taking responsibility for our food. It feels good to see the whole life of the food we eat, from the land to our plates.
Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the means to grow their own food or even buy it. I recently spent some time with my cousin Sarah, who is an advocate for social justice. She has spent many years in Sydney teaching young children. Recently moving to the Blue Mountains, she has decided to help homeless people in need of food. In doing so, she has created Earth Recovery Australia which is dedicated to reducing waste and helping people in need at the same time. It all makes sense! I am very proud of my cousin.
Everyday I am grateful for my family and the wonderful environment in which I live. I am inspired by people and things around me. There is so much to notice and to think about. It is important to slow down occasionally and recognise the simple beauty right in front of us.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great you're raising your own food. Even though I'm a vegetarian (and personally wouldn't eat meat) I don't have any issues with someone raising their own animals for food. As you said they have had great lives. That's the best we can do for food animals. And the best way to truly appreciate their lives.
    And what an awesome cousin you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Libby. It's great to get a vegetarian's point of view! You are right, it's about appreciating the lives of the animals, and we certainly do.

    ReplyDelete