7.17.2012

Five little ducks went out one day...

On this most glorious day in the Southern Highlands, I was lucky enough to be at home and to observe some of our other animals. I know I've been telling you a lot about our three little pigs. They have settled in nicely and are busy ploughing up the grass as I write...Their little pink rubbery noses are miniature trowels that turn over the earth at an amazing speed!
We have five little ducks. They are Muscovy ducks and they are bred for meat as well as eggs. We have Zoro, Big Boy, Princess, Chook Chook, and Fredo (thankfully I take no responsibility for their names-they were all named by the children). They wander around the yard with the goose and the chickens and rooster. It is really lovely to interact with them as they wag their tails like dogs when you speak to them. Today they were spotted having a paddle in the little pond...later on in the day I counted only four ducks wandering around. I thought of the nursery rhyme that I used to sing my children when they were in the bath..."but only four little ducks came back..." My children never tired of this nursery rhyme. I could be draped over the edge of the bath, eyes hanging out of my head from sleepless nights and they still urged me on to sing ("more Mummy!"). 
Well, today, our ducks appeared to be searching for something. Could it be that one little duck had gone over the hill and far away?
I like to observe my animals mostly for pleasure but also for signs of changes in their environment or signs that they may be in danger. 
Fredo was missing and I knew that she could be in danger so, I set out to find her. My first thought was that she may have walked straight out onto the road, into the path of an oncoming car! But then, something in the bushes caught my eye and I turned...I didn't get too far when I saw her scratching around on the wrong side of a fence, metres from the pond where she had been enjoying her morning paddle. Talking to her softly as I slowly approached, I was able to gently lift her up and carry her back to the other ducks. 
Their reunion was a happy one. Lots of tail wagging, tongue wagging and panting. All the five little ducks were back! They waddled off, content, to the grassy area, no doubt to find some snails for afternoon tea. 

2 comments:

  1. I am a sucker for a happy ending.
    Glad you located No5 safely.
    Denis

    ReplyDelete