7.09.2012

Three little pigs at home

Today I took some lovely photos of the three little pigs. They seemed as happy as...well, pigs in mud I suppose. Having been in their pen for three days now, it is obvious to me that they are settling in to their new home. Whilst they did spend five days on the run, they did not go far. I think they were happy to come and go as they pleased. I was leaving food out for them. They came and ate, and then trotted off out into the paddock ( and who knows where else!) to play. This was not an ideal arrangement, as you can imagine. Three pigs roaming around Robertson may not have been a welcome sight for the neighbouring farms and their gardens. I did have our lovely immediate neighbours on the lookout. They were somewhat relieved to hear the news of the pigs' return.
As I sat in the pen with Pinky, Spot and Fudge, I was pleasantly amused at their antics. They were like three little puppies playing around, jumping and running after each other. In the afternoon sun, I sat with my cup of tea and my book. Determined to keep a close eye on the three masterminds I thought I'd spend an hour with them to observe their behaviour. It didn't take long for me to put my book down and be completely absorbed in these three characters. I gave them some watermelon and carrots to munch on. They loved the watermelon. I could hear the loud sloshing noises as they devoured the soft juicy flesh. They pushed each other whilst chomping away, eager to snatch up every last piece. The carrot was not so popular...I did see quite a few lumps lying in the grass when I left.
Speaking of grass, it is a piglet delicacy! The grass hanging out of the pigs' mouths could've been spaghetti! They were slurping it up like it was a big bowl of 'spag bol'. Their little faces were so beautiful. Nudging me occasionally, their snouts pushed up against my hands. They felt rubbery and warm. Their eyes were inquisitive and intelligent, watching me closely.
Our small farm feels wonderful with this new addition. It is an absolute pleasure having the three little pigs here and I am looking forward to getting to know them better.
I will post some photos tomorrow so that you can finally meet Pinky, Spot and Fudge.

2 comments: