7.04.2012

Three Little Pigs

Four days ago, my partner and I purchased three little piglets. Since then, our life has become fraught with tense moments and more than the usual amount of stress!
You see, we decided to add these piglets to our growing family of animals as not only would they provide pleasure and entertainment for us but, they would also be a source of food down the track.
Well, after spending a day designing and building a great looking pig pen, we drove with our trailer to pick up the little swines. I don't know if you have ever had anything to do with pigs but, I hadn't...needless to say, they were not the cute little docile creatures I had imagined.
The man we were buying them from did quietly indicate that they may put up a fight. He had placed them in a small pen for easier access. They were hard to catch and made extremely loud squealing noises when caught. It was quite distracting. Their mother was in a separate pen and almost succeeded in pushing through the steel gate that held her back. She was monstrous and scary!
Once we arrived home, without hearing a peep from the piglets on the way, we began unloading them. At first they seemed to like their new home. They huddled in the corner. We watched them for a short time and then decided to leave them alone to settle in. Well... after only walking a few metres away, we turned around when we heard some muffled grunting noises. They had escaped! Already!! They were just wandering around, side by side like they owned the place. So, with the help of our border collie, we rounded them up and guided them back to the pen. We fixed up the hole from which they had bolted and watched them for a short while again.
To cut a long story short, this routine went on throughout the afternoon. The piglets would escape and we would put them back...We even tried some electric wire around the perimeter but, alas, this did not contain them. It was getting dark and we were getting tired but, we were determined to contain these beasts!
We tried so hard but were only able to manage to keep one piglet in the pen. The other two disappeared into thin air!
In the morning, the lone piglet seemed settled and quiet (I know now that this was a disguise). She ate some bread. We resigned ourselves to the fact that we now only had one piglet and that we had failed miserably with the other two. I hated the thought of two little piglets alone in the wild.
During the morning, one of the escapees turned up at the front gate ( the pink one). We let him into the house yard and hoped he would stay. Unfortunately, I was on my way to the vet with our two dogs just as the piglet decided to return so, I had to hope that he would still be there when I got back!
As you can imagine, I came home from the vet with the two dogs looking forward to finding two piglets...

What I did find was not what I had hoped... the cute little pink boy piglet had helped the black girl piglet to escape. The gate to the pen was open. The two of them had pushed their way out!
Therefore, I was left with no piglets! Piglets on the run!
Notifying the neighbours was the next thing I did in the hope that they might spot one or two or three.
Since this time, I have been looking, and looking, and searching...
Yesterday, I spotted all three piglets together ( Pinky, Blacky and Tan), wandering in our paddock! I was so excited I nearly fell over on the way to open the pen gate! I managed to lure them close to their pen with two loaves of bread (this process took about an hour). I had them so close to going into the pen when something spooked them and they all ran off into the sunset! Three little piggies with their tails curled and their ears flopping...walking side by side.
I am hoping to see them again today and will try to persuade them to come back...Wish me luck!


3 comments:

  1. Goodness, the Mount Murray Swine are on the loose.
    Lets hope this ends well.
    If not, you can ask for assistance from the Shooters and Fishers Party.
    Robert Borsak MLC would be happy to have target practice.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep that in mind Denis, they may become a food source much sooner than originally intended!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6.7.12

    Everytime I hear about these terrors of Carinya, I can't help thinking about the story of the 3 little pigs and how they out foxed the fox. Piggies are definately much smarter than we thought, must be all the mud baths, hmm.
    Mum x

    ReplyDelete